Thursday, March 10, 2011

No title.. instead: "Prince symbol"

I want to publish some of my recent finds instead of making myself go to bed so here we go!



This is something I ordered from an Etsy shop. I wanted a leash holder for Izzy and I just couldn't find anything I liked, and I wasn't willing to spend more than 5 or 6 dollars. This poor little thing was in my price range, and it's not staying that color. That would probably be the worst thing for my darker olive green walls. Light green on dark green? Gross. I'll probably end up painting it white. This room is screaming for some brightness, which is why I did a white frame and white mat photo collage, white curtains, and white accessories. I'm trying to brighten up what could be a hibernation cave- olive walls, dark wood floors, dark wood furniture, dark leather couches. I'm starting to regret painting this room olive, but I'm absolutely not painting it again until we move out. I'd rather just make it work! So this little guy will be another white accessory trying to add some light into this room, and it will hang out by the front door.




Dinky little Michael's finds! The birds were 1.50 and 3.00 from the Ashland collection at Michael's (they were half off of 3.00 and 6.00). The little vase was probably 2.00 at the same store, with 2.00 worth of flowers inside it. The other vase/tray/former jellybean holder until I ate them all was an Etsy find.



This is from the Ashland collection at Michael's. Everything was half off for some reason and I got really excited. I got even more excited when I took this to the register, and for some reason the cashier started wrapping it in paper and put it straight in my bag. She scanned everything else in my cart but didn't scan this? Worked for me. I'm a horrible person so I pretended not to notice. I actually stood there and flipped through an empty calendar to look busy.

I've done a big wall collage of white frames with white mats to take some of the drabbyness of a big olve wall away. Two of my favorite pictures are up here now. Because I am obsessed with my dog, here she is fresh from the groomers one morning, and I'm not sure why I love this picture so much, I just do:



One of my favorite pictures of Matt and Izzy is finally on the wall and not stuffed in a scrapbook. She is about two months old here and I just love how she's looking at him. My camera flash and the fact that I'm not getting any sunlight in are making my walls look like vomit. I swear they don't look this weird?



I framed a piece of scrapbook paper, which I've never done. I feel awesome. This was a clearance sheet of paper at Michaels and rang up 14 cents. I just loved the design and that it had my wall color in there also, the green:



And voila, it becomes this:



I shoudn't be this proud because this is a pretty common thing to do, but the reality is: NOT FOR ME IT'S NOT!!



You know how when something goes horribly wrong someone tells you in an annoying effort to cheer you up, "Someday you'll look back at this and laugh"? That always bugs the shit out of me but I just feel like this is that moment where it's appropriate. To sum up hours of chaos and even some tears because I'm dramatic, I wanted a pawprint picture of Izzy. I'm copying my friend Leah on that one. I went with navy because.... all I had was navy and I just wasn't going to do my makeup to go get a bottle of paint. I don't like to waste my makeup, it's expensive. So I put Izzy in the laundryroom along with this piece of paper (it was much bigger), paint on a paper plate, and towels galore. Shitty towels. For some reason she was just super freaked out and wanted to leave the room the entire time, wouldn't walk on the paper, and this pawprint was the only successful one. The rest of the paper looks like she's flailing around for her life and happens to have her paws dipped in paint at the time. It looks like a cat fight really, not a solid paw. She ended up getting out of the laundry room before I cleaned her and I have paint:

- In the kitchen
- On the fridge
- In the hallway to the stairs
- On my carpeted stairs
- On my bedroom floor
- Under my bed where she hid from me to avoid more paint projects

I would also like to add that even though this paint was water soluble, and even though she has had two baths, my white dog is half blue. Like a baby blue, it's kind of pretty. Reminds me of my last pomeranian OJ, who I dyed hot pink. He was awesome. Yep, he.



I love lamp. I have NO clue why this was on clearance at TJ Maxx, but it was $13 with the shade. It just makes me happy. Thought I'd SHED SOME LIGHT ON THAT TOPIC!


This is my summer setup for my table! I have seriously had fall colored placemats and napkins until this week (and it's March.) This setup was less than $20, I just refuse to spend money so if I can't do it for cheap I'm just not doing it!

The runner is not a runner at all, it's four Ikea placemats that I found online and they're basically just lined up. I couldn't find the runner I actually wanted (sold out) so I made this work because I already owned them. The middle piece is from TJ Maxx. The bottle of wine is Matt and I's last bottle of wine we shared before he deployed last August (three cheers for Moscato- hip hip, drunk!). The left piece, which is so simple that decorating pros are about to laugh at me, is actually something I'm really proud of because I didn't just buy it as it was and sit it on the table! I bought the vase at Walmart for 3.50 and each piece of fruit was 1.00 also at Walmart. There's 8 pieces in there, so 8.00 in fruit. I know everyone has lemons and limes or some other fruit in a bowl and it's not original but who cares. I feel good about it and that's all that matters.

So far my only projects that I've done have been tackling a big wall collage, redoing my table setup in under $20, the pawprint project from hell, spray painting a green frame white, and now painting this leash holder. I'd love to step my game up and do something out of my comfort zone, I definitely don't want to jump right into reupholstering or redoing a dresser though. I need a baby step idea! It will come to me soon... I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment