Wednesday, September 7, 2011

16 week update

I have been MIA for a few reasons. One, my hormones have made me angry for the past month and any blog I would have made would have been me breathing fire at you by means of this laptop. Two, there are only so many posts I can make basically saying that nothing has happened yet, I'm not showing yet, I'm not gaining weight yet, and if I took a weekly stomach picture from 4 weeks to now you would have exactly 12 of the same stomach picture. Seems like a waste of time for now! Three, I haven't had an appointment or any news to report. Everything has been going normal though.

Today I finally had an appointment at Naval hospital. The norm is to take you every 5-6 weeks, and I got unlucky and got the 6 weeks. Oh well. Since my 10 week appointment I've gained 4 pounds, BUT I need to take into account what I was wearing then, which was shorts and a t-shirt and flip-flops, and what I was wearing today, which was knee high boots and jeans and a sweater. So maybe I actually gained two pounds. Maybe only even one. But I was reassured that this is normal, they measured my height and I'm 5'5" (which I knew), and apparently that is tall. I am now in the group of "tall" skinny people who have never had a baby before, so I'm going to be showing last basically and gaining weight the slowest. Cool.

The baby's heartbeat was 150-ish; it was timed by the nurse's cell phone (professional) so I don't know how accurate that is. Oh Allissa, it totally did sound like a horse running now that you asked that!

I was told I'm doing good, not to worry about now showing, not to worry about not gaining weight, and to just drink lots of water. Everything I already knew, but that's okay. I'd rather hear that than some bad news.

My anatomy scan is coming up shortly, they didn't book out that far so I need to call back in a week or two to schedule it. Next Thursday we are going down to Wilmington to have an ultrasound and basically an anatomy scan and I am happy/nervous/super excited!!! Ready to know what Baby Roberts is and hopefully know that all is well.

I took a cystic fibrosis test to see if I am a carrier since it's free, and I declined the down syndrome test since it comes with a fairly scary percentage of false positives AND false negatives, which to me defeats the purpose of getting any test done if you can't rely on the results.

At my 9 week ultrasound I was told I have a subchorionic bleed, which sounds a lot more scary than it is. It's common, harmless, and I'm not stressing over it. I basically have a little pocket of blood that formed pretty early into my pregnancy, and it's just hanging out. It's not causing any problems, but it could "burst" for lack of a better word and I'll see some blood, a small amount because it's tiny, and probably freak out. I was asked today if I had seen any, and I haven't, so they're assuming my body just reabsorbed the blood, which is the second thing the pocket of blood could have done. Next week we will see if it's still there, but to family reading this this is not anything to freak out over! Causes no issues to the baby or me, worst case scenario is I'm going to go to the bathroom one day and be slightly freaked out, that's all. But I was told if it hasn't happened by now, my body probably just reabsorbed the blood pocket and it's not going to pop.

Warning: DO NOT GOOGLE subchorionic bleed if you do not want to panic yourself. Mine is very very small, not right next to the baby, and I am now 16 weeks and have had zero bleeding. Googling brings up some scary pictures and more serious cases than mine and I should not have done it!

That's it for me! I will have a much more in depth update next week when I actually get an ultrasound.

No comments:

Post a Comment